Energy and Sustainability
Energy & Sustainability Manager
"Tell me, I'll forget. Show me, I may remember. But involve me and I'll understand."
Contact Dara Ward (303-682-7363)
The Energy & Sustainability Program (ESP) aims to identify and implement energy efficiency and sustainability initiatives that benefit and educate the St. Vrain Valley School community at large. Our objective is to reduce costs, conserve our natural resources, and engage deeper with our community. Numerous staff members as well as external partners contribute to the success of this Department and the effectiveness of the ESP depends on the expertise and effort of these individuals.
Specifically, ESP will evaluate our current energy consumption levels, and, whenever possible, will suggest energy reduction initiatives that improve performance while increasing awareness and training among students, staff, and teachers. The Department partners with utilities and other providers to take advantage of grants, rebates, incentives, educational programs and training opportunities.
ESP is also responsible for facility audits, benchmarking, and establishing short, medium and long-term goals as well as ensuring that commodity purchases are efficient and in line with the mission, vision and values of the District.
ESP’s goals are segmented into four focus areas: Green Buildings, Energy & Environmental Education, Resource Conservation, and Waste & Material Flows
- Identify energy efficiency projects and technologies for facility improvements such as lighting and sensors, HVAC, building envelope, daylighting, alternative energy and more
- Implement policies and guidelines to reduce the carbon emissions and footprint at each site
- Ensure that LEED buildings are operating according to high efficiency standards
- Train staff and provide tools to improve water conservation and increase energy efficiency
- Evaluate utility grants and rebate programs to reduce retrofit costs
- Establish new construction and renovation standards that incorporate energy efficiency and sustainability practices
- Educational programs include but are not limited to: waste management, water safety awareness, conservation, ecosystems, energy efficiency, recycling, composting, climate change, carbon footprint, fossil fuel history and development, renewable energy markets and innovation
- Provide classroom activities, course materials, and field trips that increase awareness surrounding energy and the environment
- Encourage creative solutions to resource conservation through diverse events and programs such as Eco-Cycle’s Green Star Schools, Green Teams, ReNew Our Schools competition and the Longmont Children’s Water Festival
- Identify emissions and idling reduction technologies and/or cleaner fuels for the District school buses in order to help improve local air quality and reduce children’s exposure to fuel exhaust
- Investigate and disseminate best practices through education and training to minimize water, electricity and fossil fuel usage
- Implement purchasing policies that reduce materials and offer guidance in selecting eco-friendly products
- Identify methods to reduce waste and maximize recycling and composting
- Evaluate the life-cycle costs and environmental impacts of facility operations and maintenance to improve efficiency
Energy & Environmental Education
Waste & Material Flows
A Call to Action
As our schools embark on this journey towards more energy efficient and sustainable practices, we call to action all students, teachers, staff and community members to embrace the environmental steward within. Each and every one of you can make a difference in reducing energy usage, using less water, minimizing waste, recycling and composting whenever possible, and spreading eco-friendly life choices. ESP is good for people, the planet, and our bottom line, but most importantly for the health of our students and future generations.
|St. Vrain Valley School District • 395 S Pratt Pkwy • Longmont, CO 80501 (303) 776 - 6200|